Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Change

 

Change has many definitions, the general sense of them being "to make different."

 

(AM-159; dp. 530; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 15 k.; cpl. 104; a 13"; cl. Admirable)

 

Change (AM-159) was launched 15 December 1942 by Willamette Iron and Steel Corp., Portland, Oreg.; commissioned 28 February 1944, Lieutenant F. M. Linderman in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.

 

Change arrived at Kwajalein 2 June 1944 for convoy escort duty between Pearl Harbor, Kwajalein, Majuro, and Eniwetok. Providing essential services in guarding the enormous volume of men and cargo moved in rear areas to provide support for the frontline campaigns, Change based at Eniwetok from 15 September. Her operations took her to Guadalcanal, Manus, Ulithi, Guam, Iwo Jima, and Saipan before 5 August 1945, when she cleared for Seattle, Wash.

 

After overhaul, Change sailed to Pearl Harbor in November 1945, then cleared for the east coast. She was placed out of commission in reserve at New Orleans 3 July 1946, and was reclassified MSF-159 on 7 February 1955.