Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Champion

 

One acknowledged superior to all competitors.

 

II

 

(SwStr: t. 115; l. 145'8"; b. 26'5"; dr. 3'6"; s. 4 k.; a. 2 30-pdrs. r., 1 24-pdr. sb., 1 12-pdr. sb.)

 

Champion, an armed river steamer, was built in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1859 as Champion No. 4; purchased there 14 March 1863; fitted out at Cairo, III.; and commissioned 26 April 1863, Acting Master Alfred Phelps, Jr., in command.

 

Operating almost continuously from 27 April 1863 to 9 June 1865, Champion patrolled the Mississippi, Tennessee, and Red Rivers. She transported troops, prisoners, supplies, and cotton; towed and convoyed ships; and delivered dispatches. Her yeoman service ended at Mound City, 111., where she was decommissioned 1 July 1865. Champion was sold 29 November 1865.