Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Chahao

 

A Navajo word meaning "shade" or "shelter."

 

Chahao (YTB-496) was built by Ira S. Bushey and Sons, Inc., Brooklyn, N.Y., in 1944-1945. She was placed in service in March 1946 and assigned to the Pacific Fleet for a brief time prior to her transfer to Advanced Bases, Pacific Area. She continues to perform her tug services in the Subic Bay area.