Of or pertaining to the Celts or their language.
(IX-137: dp. 20,000 (f.); l. 485'; b. 62'6"; dr. 31'6"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 114; a. 1 4", 1 3")
The second Celtic (IX-137) was built in 1921 as Kerry Patch by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass.; acquired by the Navy 17 January 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant J. S. Loring, USCG, in command.
Acquired at Noumea, New Caledonia, Celtic sailed 15 February 1944 for duty as station tanker, successively, at Efate and Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides; Port Purvis, Gavutu, and Empress Augusta Bay in the Solomons; and at Noumea itself until 31 March 1945, when she joined a convoy for Leyte, arriving 25 May. Here she served as station tanker until 1 July, sailing then for duty off Okinawa from 17 July. Her support of the occupation continued until 29 October when she cleared for Mobile, Ala., arriving 11 December. A career of humble but essential service ended with her decommissioning 6 February 1946. Celtic was delivered to the War Shipping Administration for disposal 24 December 1946.