Cayuga (LST-1186) was named after a county in New York. She was laid down on 28 September 1968 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 12 July 1969; sponsored by Mrs. Luther C. Heinz; and commissioned on 8 August 1970, Comdr. William T. Hollenbach in command.
Following commissioning, Cayuga was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, with its home port at Long Beach, Calif. Into 1980, the tank landing ship has alternated amphibious training operations along the west coast of the United States with regular, extended deployments to the Far East.
Cayuga earned two battle stars for Vietnam service.