Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Cauto

 

Merchant name retained.

 

(AC: dp. 8,060; l. 368'; b. 47'; dr. 22'6"; s. 14k.; cpl. 62; a. 2 3")

 

Cauto (No. 1538) was launched in 1916 by Seattle Construction and Dry Dock Co., Seattle, Wash.; acquired by the Navy from the Shipping Board 12 July 1918; commissioned 13 July 1918, Lieutenant Commander J. R. Curtis, USNRF, in command; outfitted at Philadelphia; and reported to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service.

 

Between 21 July 1918 and 9 February 1919, Cauto made three transatlantic voyages carrying supplies for the American Expeditionary Force in France. She was decommissioned at Philadelphia 22 February 1919, and returned to her owner.