An American songbird, dark gray with black cap and reddish undertail coverts.
(AM-68: dp. 570; l. 147'10"; b. 28'8"; dr. 12'; s. 12 k.; a. 1 3")
Catbird (AM-68) was built in 1938 by Charleston Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Charleston, S.C., as Bittern; acquired by the Navy 12 August 1940; and commissioned 27 November 1940; Lieutenant E. Johnson, USNR, in command.
Catbird operated in New England waters through 31 March 1941, engaged in tests and exercises. After overhaul at Brooklyn she sailed on 5 October for Cristobal where she remained until 29 January 1944, on duty in the 15th Naval District. Returning to the east coast she engaged in local operations at Norfolk until 16 April 1944 when she sailed to Boston arriving 19 April. She was reclassified IX-183, 15 August and was placed out of commission in service 17 August 1944.
Catbird provided services out of New York until 23 May 1945, then operated in Cape Cod waters until 3 June under direction of Naval Mine Testing Facilities. Returning to New York 4 June, she was placed out of service and laid up 7 November 1945, and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal 24 January 1947.