Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Carolita

 

Original name retained.

 

(PYC-38: dp. 236; l. 133'5"; b. 23'; dr. 10'; s. 14 k.; a. 1 3")

 

Carolita (PYC-38) was built in 1923 as Ripple by Germania Werft, Kiel, Germany; purchased by the Navy 1 April 1942 from Herman G. Buckley, Chicago, 111.; and commissioned 6 November 1942, Lieutenant (junior grade) A. W. Anderson, USNR, in command.

 

Arriving at Boston 16 December 1942, Carolita, operated there until 3 August 1943 when she departed for Key West via Norfolk and repairs at Miami. She served with the Sound School from 8 September 1943, helping to train men in the techniques of antisubmarine warfare. She was decommissioned 28 February 1944 and used as a target.