Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Carolina

 

From the British colony Carolina were formed the colonies (later states) of North and South Carolina.

 

(Sch: t. 230; 1. 89'6"; b. 24'4"; dph.11'4"; cpl. 100; a.14 guns)

 

Carolina, a schooner, was built at Charleston, S.C.; purchased by the Navy while still on the stocks; launched 10 November 1812; and commissioned 4 June 1813, Lieutenant J. D. Henley in command.

 

Carolina set sail for New Orleans, and while making her passage, captured the British schooner Shark. Arriving at New Orleans 23 August 1813, she began an active career of patrol directed against possible British action as well as the pirates which infested the Caribbean. On 16 September 1814, Carolina attacked and destroyed the stronghold of the notorious Jean Lafitte on the island of Barataria.

 

Carolina, with the others of the small naval force in the area, carried out the series of operations which gave General Andrew Jackson time to prepare the defense of New Orleans when the British threatened the city in December 1814. On 23 December, she dropped down the river to the British bivouac which she bombarded with so telling an effect as to make a material contribution to the eventual victory. As the British stiffened their efforts to destroy the naval force and to take the city, Carolina came under heavy fire from enemy artillery on 27 December. The heated shot set her afire, and her crew was forced to abandon her. Shortly after, she exploded.

 

Carolina, a Coast Guard vessel, was built at Morehead City, N.C., in 1906. In accordance with Federal legislation of 28 January 1915, this ship was automatically transferred to the Navy upon United States entry into World War I. There is no record of her ever having performed active duty, and she was returned to the Coast Guard by an order of 28 August 1919.