Private name retained.
(PY: t. 240; l. 67'; b. 23'4"; dr. 13'4"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 68; a. 2 3")
Carola IV (No. 812) was built in 1885 by Culzion Shipbuilding Co., Culzion, Scotland; purchased by the Navy in June 1917; commissioned 7 July 1917, Lieutenant (junior grade) H. R. Keller in command; and reported to the Second Division, Patrol Squadron, Atlantic Fleet.
Carola IV cleared New York late in July 1917 for St. John's, Newfoundland; the Azores; and Brest, France. Arriving 29 August, she served on patrol and escort duty along the coast of France. Her active service ended in October 1917, when she was fitted out for service as an auxiliary berthing ship. She served at Base Seven, Brest, until 27 December 1919, when she was decommissioned and sold.