A cape on the coast of South Carolina.
(AK: dp. 10,505; l. 391'9"; b. 52'; dr. 23'11"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 6", 1 3"; cl. Cape Romain)
Cape Romain (No. 2970) was launched as War Mercury 4 May 1918 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrows Point, Md.; acquired from the Shipping Board and commissioned as Cape Romain 25 June 1918, Lieutenant Commander H. E. Sanders, USNRF, in command; and reported to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service.
Cape Romain stood out of Baltimore 29 June 1918 for New York, where she loaded cargo for Argentina. On 13 July she sailed for La Plata and Buenos Aires, where she discharged and loaded cargo, returning to Boston 25 September. Between 15 October and 22 February 1919, Cape Romain made two voyages to French ports carrying supplies for the Army of Occupation. She was decommissioned at New York on 3 March 1919, and returned to the Shipping Board.