Born 9 November 1915 in New York City, Leon William Canfield enlisted in the Naval Reserve 13 May 1940, and after aviation training, was discharged 4 March 1941. He reenlisted 25 July 1941 for midshipman training, and was appointed ensign 16 January 1942. Ensign Canfield was killed in action in the Battle of the Solomon Islands 15 November 1942.
(DE-262: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; a. 21 k.; cpl. 114; a. 3 3", 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Evarts)
Canfield (DE-262) was launched 6 April 1943 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. L. W. Canfield; and commissioned 22 July 1943, Commander J. B. Cleland, Jr., USNR, in command.
Canfield sailed from Boston, Mass., 13 October 1943 for Pearl Harbor, arriving 17 November. Between 25 November and 10 December, she screened the vital but vulnerable tankers supporting air strikes on the Marshall Islands. In January, Canfield sailed to Majuro, from which base she continued to operate on convoy escort, patrol, and plane guard in the Marshalls operation.
Returning to Pearl Harbor in April 1944, Canfield got underway 6 May escorting a tanker convoy bound for Majuro. Here she resumed escort duties, now supporting the Marianas operation. In September, the escort vessel arrived at Eniwetok, and until December, guarded convoys to the forward base at Ulithi. These convoys carried the men and supplies essential to the Philippines operation.
Early in March 1945, after a visit to Pearl Harbor, Canfield arrived off Iwo Jima, and served on patrol during the assault and capture of the northern part of the island. On 20 March she embarked men of the veteran 4th Marines for transportation to Pearl Harbor. Canfield continued to San Francisco for overhaul, and San Diego for refresher training, returning to Pearl Harbor 7 June. After a month of antisubmarine and plane guard duty, she sailed for San Pedro Bay, P.I., where she joined a Japan-bound occupation convoy. Canfield anchored in Tokyo Bay 20 September, and on 6 October was underway for San Francisco. Here Canfield was decommissioned 21 December 1945, and sold 12 June 1947.
Canfield received four battle stars for World War II service.