Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Canary

 

A small finch.

 

Canary (AMC-25), formerly John G. Murley, was acquired by the Navy on 24 October 1940, and following conversion, was placed in service on 19 June 1941 in the 4th Naval District. On 10 January 1944 she was re-classified YDT-7 and thereafter attached to the 5th Naval District for assignment in connection with diving, torpedo, mine and antisubmarine programs. She was transferred to the Maritime Administration in June 1948.