In Greek mythology, Calypso, daughter of Atlas, detained the ship-wrecked Ulysses on the isle of Ogygia.
(ScStr. t. 630; l 175'2"; b. 26'6"; dr. 12'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 70; a. 2 30-pdr. r., 4 24-pdr. r.)
The first Calypso, an armed streamer, was captured 11 June 1863 off Wilmington, N.C., by Florida; purchased from the prize court 12 October 1863; and commissioned 24 September 1863, Acting Master F. D. Stuart in command.
Calypso joined the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron off Wilmington, N.C., and on 24 October 1863, took her first prize off Frying Pan Shoals, the schooner Herald. Returning to Norfolk, Va., in November for repairs, the steamer was back on duty off Wilmington 31 March 1864. In June she joined with Nansemond in sailing to New River Inlet to support the Army in an expedition to cut the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad. The troops were successfully landed from Nansemond in boats from both ships on 21 June, and through the next days, Calypso's boats patrolled up the river and carried supplies to the Army. When Confederate opposition prevented the linkup of the landing party with a force moving overland, Calypso swiftly evacuated the soldiers.
Through the summer, Calypso patrolled the track of ships attempting to run the blockade from Nassau, and on 28 October 1864, after a long chase and last minute aid from Eolus and Fort Jackson, took the steamer Lady Sterling. Calypso was sent north with her prize 6 November, and after receiving repairs at New York, returned late in spring 1865 to cruising from Chesapeake Bay to the coast of Florida. She was decommissioned at the Washington Navy Yard 15 August 1865, and was sold at New York 30 November 1865.