Spanish name retained; a seaport in Peru.
(IX-205: dp.1,015; l. 183'; b. 30'10"; dr. 13'11"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 78)
The third Callao (IX-205) was built in 1943-1944 by P. Smit, Jr., Shipyard, Rotterdam, Holland, as Externsteine for the German Navy; captured on the night of 15-16 October 1944 by the Coast Guard Cutter Eastwind off Greenland; and commissioned 24 January 1945, Lieutenant D. 0. Newton, USNR, in command.
Callao was commissioned at Boston, where a prize crew had brought her by way of Reykiavik and Argentia. Between 30 January 1945 and 4 February she was outfitted at Philadelphia Navy Yard for special experimental work for the Bureau of Ships, and for the next 5 years carried out tests in the area of Cape May, N.J., and Cape Henlopen, Del. She was decommissioned 10 May 1950, and sold 30 September 1950.