A semiprecious stone.
(PYC-26: dp.523 (f.); l.161'; b. 26'; dr. 9'9"; s. 14 k.; cpl. 49; a. 1 3")
Cymophane (PYC-26) was built in 1926 as Seaforth by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va.; acquired by the Navy 2 March 1942; and commissioned 6 August 1942, Lieutenant R. M. Hull, USNR, in command.
Departing Sturgeon Bay, Wis., 9 August 1942 after the completion of her conversion, Cymophane in company with two motor minesweepers sailed by way of Cleveland and the St. Lawrence River to Nova Scotia where she joined a convoy and sailed 26 August for New York, arriving 2 September. She served at New York under the 3d Naval District.
Reassigned to the 5th Naval District, Cymophane arrived at Norfolk 21 November 1942. She served in antisubmarine patrol, convoy escort duty along the east coast, and rescue operations until 6 August 1944 when she proceeded to Philadelphia Navy Yard, where she was decommissioned 25 August 1944. After overhaul, she was placed in service 21 September 1944, and on 2 October departed for New London, arriving on the 4th. Attached to the Underwater Sound Laboratory she alternated experimental work with submarine training until 30 April 1946. She arrived at Brooklyn Navy Yard 10 May, and was placed out of service 23 May 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission 10 June 1948.