Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Cuttyhunk Island

 

An island off the coast of Massachusetts.

 

(AG-75: dp. 5,766; l.441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 24'9"; s.12 k.; cpl. 891; a. 1 5"; cl. Belle Isle)

 

Cuttyhunk Island (AG-75) was launched 26 November 1944 by New England Shipbuilding Corp., South Portland, Maine, under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. M. M. Dayo; acquired by the Navy 7 December 1944; outfitted at Eureka Shipbuilding Corp., Newburg, N.Y.; and commissioned 1 September 1945, Lieutenant Commander N. G. Hole-man, USNR, in command.

 

Cuttyhunk Island departed Norfolk 24 November 1945 to carry troops from Bermuda to Boston. She reported to Orange, Tex., 31 January 1946, and there was placed out of commission in reserve 3 May 1946. She was reclassified AKS-23, 18 August 1951.