The constellation known as the Southern Cross.
(AK-115: dp. 4,224; l. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 24'6"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 198; a 1 5"; cl. Crater)
Crux (AK-115) was launched 16 November 1943 as Peter Stuyvesant by Saint John's River Shipbuilding Co., Jacksonville, Fla., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. F. D. Arthur; transferred to the Navy 27 November 1943; and commissioned 17 March 1944, Commander C. R. Beyer, USNR, in command.
Departing Norfolk 4 May 1944, Crux arrived at Espiritu Santo 14 June. From 20 June 1944 to 10 April Crux repeatedly loaded cargo at Brisbane, Australia, for such ports as Milne Bay, Finschhafen, Langemak Bay, Port Moresby, and Hollandia in New Guinea, and Manus, Admiralty Islands. Her supply base was shifted to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands, in April 1945, and from 16 April to 15 October 1945, she carried cargo from that port to Humboldt Bay, and Mios Woendi, New Guinea, and Nissan Atoll, Bismarck Archipelago. Taking homeward-bound servicemen on board at Manila Bay, Crux sailed 15 November for San Francisco, arriving10 December. Crux was decommissioned 31 January 1946and transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal the same day.