In Greek mythology, the brother-in-law of Oedipus, also a legendary king of Corinth.
(ARL-11: dp. 2,125; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'; s. 12 k.; cpl. 255; a. 1 3"; cl. Achelous)
Creon was launched 24 August 1944 by Boston Navy Yard; sponsored by Mrs. M. A. Pratt; placed in partial commission 16 September 1944, Lieutenant M. G. Pooley, USNR, in command; sailed to Baltimore, Md., and decommissioned 26 September 1944 for conversion; and commissioned in full 27 January 1945, Lieutenant M. G. Pooley, USNR, in command.
Clearing Norfolk 4 March 1945, Creon arrived at Biak, Shouten Islands, 4 May. Moving to Morotai the next day, she conducted amphibious training exercises, and on 1 July took part in the invasion of Balikpapan. She served off Borneo until arriving at Subic Bay 1 August to repair landing craft there until 18 December. After loading cargo at Guam, Creon arrived at Pearl Harbor for overhaul 22 January 1946.
Assigned to the service group for Operation "Crossroads," the atomic weapons tests in the Marshalls, Creon arrived at Kwajalein 19 March 1946 and operated there and at the test site until 10 September when she departed for overhaul at San Pedro. She served as a repair ship for LSMs and LSM(R)s at San Diego from 15 December 1946 until 27 September 1948. Following an overhaul at Long Beach Naval Shipyard, Creon put out from San Diego 10 January 1949 for Kodiak, Alaska, to participate in a large-scale cold-weather exercise. Creon returned to San Diego 4 March and there was placed out of commission in reserve 8 June 1949.
Creon received one battle star for World War II service.