Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Crenshaw

 

A county in Alabama.

 

(APA-76: dp. 4,247; l. 426'; b. 58'; dr. 16'; s. 16.9 k.; cpl. 320; a. 1 5"; cl. Gilliam)

 

Crenshaw (APA-76) was launched 27 October 1944 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. F. M. Earle; transferred to the Navy 3 January 1945; and commissioned the next day, Commander W. B. Studley, Jr., USNR, in command.

 

Crenshaw arrived at Pearl Harbor 5 March 1945 and joined in amphibious training in the Hawaiian Islands until 9 June when she sailed with passengers for- San Francisco. She sailed to Seattle for repairs and from there put to sea 7 July for Pearl Harbor, Eniwetok, Ulithi, and Okinawa, arriving 12 August. On occupation duty she carried Marines to Jinsen, Korea and to Taku, China, then sailed by way of Manila to Hong Kong to transport Chinese troops to Chinwangtao and Tsingtao. At Nagoya, Japan, she embarked homeward-bound troops and sailed 27 November for Tacoma, Wash., arriving 11 December. Crenshaw was decommissioned at Seattle 19 April 1946 and delivered to the War Shipping Administration 30 June 1946 for disposal.