Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Craven

 

Tunis Augustus Macdonough Craven was born 11 January 1813 in Portsmouth, N.H., and appointed midshipman 2 February 1829. He served with distinction in the Mexican War and commanded the Atrato Expedition in 1857 which surveyed the Isthmus of Darien. In 1860 he was presented with a gold medal and diploma by Queen Isabella II of Spain for the rescue of the crew of a Spanish merchant vessel. In the Battle of Mobile Bay, 5 August 1864, Commander Craven commanded Tecumseh, which was struck by a torpedo while leading the attack. The vessel sank almost immediately carrying with her Commander Craven who had drawn back, giving his life to permit his pilot to escape through the narrow opening in the turret tower.

 

I

 

(TB-10: dp. 146; l. 151'4"; b. 16'5"; dr. 4'8"; s. 31 k.; cpl. 29; a. 4 1-pdr., 2 18" tt.; cl. Dahlgren)

 

The first Craven, torpedo boat destroyer No. 10, was launched 25 September 1899 by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine; sponsored by Miss A. Craven, granddaughter of Commander Craven; and commissioned 9 June 1900, Lieutenant J. R. Edie in command.

 

Sailing from Portsmouth Navy Yard 19 June 1900, Craven reported to the Naval Torpedo Station at Newport 21 June and served there until 2 December when she returned to Portsmouth. She was placed out of commission there 5 December 1900.

 

Recommissioned 24 October 1902, Craven served at the Torpedo Station at Newport until 12 December 1903 when she sailed to New York Navy Yard. She was placed out of commission again 22 December 1903. Except for service with the Torpedo Station in 1906 and 1907, she remained out of commission until 14 December 1907 when she was assigned to the Reserve Torpedo Flotilla at Norfolk Navy Yard. In 1908 she was transferred to Charleston, S.C., where she was decommissioned 14 November 1913 and used as a target.