A merchant name retained.
(AK: dp. 9,700; l. 392'6"; b. 50'; dr. 24'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 62; a. 1 5")
Craster Hall (No.-1486) was built in 1909 by William Hamilton and Co., Port Glasgow, Scotland; transferred to the Navy 25 April 1918 from the Shipping Board; and commissioned 9 May 1918, Lieutenant Commander H. L. Mortensen, USNRF, in command.
Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Craster Hall made three transatlantic voyages from 25 May 1918 to 7 January 1919 carrying a total of 28,112 tons of cargo. She transported steel billets, mail, flatcars, Army trucks, engines and airplanes to Bordeaux and Verdon; Army supplies to Quiberon, St. Nazaire, and Nantes; and 353 horses to Paulliac. After completing her vital supply duty, Craster Hall was decommissioned 5 February 1919 and transferred to the Shipping Board for return to her owner the same day.