A city in Kentucky and smaller towns in several other States
(PF-56: dp. 1,190; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 176; a. 2 3"; cl. Tacoma)
The third Covington (PF-56) was launched 15 July 1943 by Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior, Wis., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Miss. J. Phillips; transferred to the Navy 5 August 1944; placed in "ferry" commission 7 August 1944; and commissioned in full 17 October 1944, Lieutenant Commander F. S. Brown, USCGR, in command.
Covington arrived at Argentia, Newfoundland, 25 December 1944 for duty as a weather patrol vessel. She remained on this duty, except for overhauls at Boston and Charleston until 16 March 1946 when she was decommissioned and loaned to the Coast Guard. Covington was returned from the Coast Guard 17 September 1946 and sold to Ecuador through the Foreign Liquidation Commission of the State Department 28 August 1947.