William Merrill Corry was born 5 October 1889 in Quincy, Fla., graduated from the Naval Academy 3 June 1910, and was designated naval aviator 6 March 1916. He served with distinction in command of the air station at Le Croisic, France, during World War I, and after the war remained in Europe working with the aviation aspects of demobilization. While serving on the staff of Commander-in-Chief, Atlantic Fleet, Lieutenant Commander Corry was injured in an airplane crash 3 October 1920. Thrown clear, he plunged into the flaming wreckage to save the plane's pilot. This heroism was recognized with the Congressional Medal of Honor. Corry died of his burns 7 October 1920.
(DD-334: dp. 1,190; l. 314'5"; b. 31'8"; dr. 9'3"; s. 35 k.; cpl. 95; a. 4 4", 1 3", 12 21" tt.; cl. Clemson)
The first Carry (DD-334) was launched 28 March 1921 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., San Francisco, Calif.; sponsored by Mrs. S. W. Corry; commissioned 25 May 1921, Lieutenant Commander K. E. Hintze in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Corry cruised on the west coast on a varied operating schedule. She joined in fleet maneuvers, cruises from Alaska to the Caribbean, development and tests of sonic depth finders, antiaircraft gunnery, aircraft rescue and plane guard rehearsals. In July 1923 she joined Hull (DD-330) to serve as escort for President W. G. Harding embarked in Henderson (AP-1) for a cruise to Alaskan and Canadian waters. She rejoined her division to participate in the American Legion convention at San Francisco in October 1923. On 8-9 September 1924, she embarked Secretary of the Navy C. D. Wilbur for a visit to Mare Island Navy Yard. From 28 August to 9 September 1925 she served as station ship during nonstop airplane flight from Hawaii to San Francisco.
In December 1929 Corry entered the San Diego Destroyer Base to prepare for decommissioning. She was towed to Mare Island Navy Yard and decommissioned 24 April 1930. She was stripped and sold for salvage 18 October 1930 in accordance with the terms of the London Treaty for the limitation of naval armament.