The brightest star in the constellation Caroli.
(AK-91: dp. 4,023; 1. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 198; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Crater)
Cor Caroli (AK-91) was launched 19 March 1943 as Betsy Ross by Permanente Metals Corp., Yard No. 2, Richmond, Calif., under a Maritime Commission contract; sponsored by Mrs. F. Modglin; acquired by the Navy 31 March 1943; commissioned 16 April 1943, Lieutenant Commander J. A. Lewis, USCGR, in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
After coastwise cargo operations, Cor Caroli cleared San Diego 14 June 1943 for Auckland, New Zealand, arriving 18 July. Until 23 January 1944, she operated between Auckland and Noumea, Espiritu Santo, Guadalcanal, Suva, Efate, and Tulagi, supporting the South Pacific operations. She sailed from Auckland 8 January 1944 for Noumea, where she loaded additional cargo, and Lunga Point, arriving 28 January. She proceeded to Bougainville, where she joined in the invasion from 8 to 17 February, splashing a Japanese plane when air resistance developed. She returned to Bougainville with additional cargo from 6 to 11 March, and next operated off Emirau from 9 to 16 April in landings there. Cor Caroli continued to operate in the Solomons until 12 June, when she sailed for Eniwetok. After standing by in reserve during the invasion of Eniwetok, she sailed on with her cargo to Guam, where she participated in the assault from 27 July to 15 August.
Cor Caroli returned to the Southwest Pacific early in September 1944, and carried cargo among the bases there until 13 January 1945, when she arrived at Auckland to load new cargo, which she carried to Eniwetok and Guam. Returning to New Zealand for brief repairs, she sailed on to Pearl Harbor, arriving 8 June to load cargo for the Philippines. She ferried among Philippine ports between 13 July and 4 August, when she sailed for Guadalcanal, Espiritu Santo, Pearl Harbor, and San Pedro, Calif. After overhaul, she continued to Norfolk, Va., arriving 17 November. Here she was decommissioned 30 November 1945 and returned to the War Shipping Administration 2 December 1945.
Cor Caroli received one battle star for World War II service.