An inlet in the coast of Alaska north of Kodiak.
(AVP-36: dp. 1,650; l. 319'9"; b. 41'1"; dr. 13'6"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 215; a. 2 5"; cl. Barnegat)
Cook Inlet (AVP-36) was launched 13 May 1944 by Lake Washington Shipyards, Houghton, Wash.; sponsored by Mrs. H. K. Stubbs, wife of Captain Stubbs; commissioned 5 November 1944, Commander W. P. Woods in command; and reported to the Pacific Fleet.
Cook Inlet sailed from San Diego 15 January 1945 for Pearl Harbor, arriving 21 January. She tended seaplanes at Hilo, Hawaii, from 25 to 31 January, arrived off Saipan 26 February to serve with the escort and patrol group based there, and from 2 to 14 March was on an air-sea rescue station during the invasion of Iwo Jima. Cook Inlet was successful in rescuing a total of 27 survivors of downed bombers and remained on duty off Iwo Jima until 29 November, when she sailed to Jinsen for duty as station tender.
After calling at Iwo Jima and Pearl Harbor, she reached San Francisco 22 January 1946. She was placed out of commission in reserve 31 March 1946, and transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard 20 September 1948.
Cook Inlet received one battle star for World War II service.