Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Constantia

 

Villages in New York and Ohio.

 

(AK: dp. 6,000; l. 339'6"; b. 41'9"; dr. 21'; s. 11 k.; a. 1 6", 1 3")

 

Constantia was built in 1890 by Barclay, Curie and Co., Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland, as Adelheid; transferred to the Navy in 1918 from the United States Shipping Board; converted at New Orleans, La.; and commissioned 22 April 1918, Lieutenant Commander P. F. Johnsen, USNRF, in command.

 

Assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service, Constantia sailed from New Orleans 6 May 1918 for New York, arriving 15 May. Joining a convoy she sailed for Rochefort, France, where she unloaded cargo from 7 to 21 June before returning to Norfolk 10 July. She was decommissioned 13 July 1918 and returned to the Shipping Board the same day.