An eel found in warm seas at moderate depths, common to both coasts of the Atlantic Ocean.
(SS-477: dp. 1,570; l. 311'8"; b. 27'4"; dr. 15'3"; s. 20 k.; cpl. 76; a. 10 21" tt.; cl. Goto)
Conger (SS-477) was launched 17 October 1944 by Portsmouth Naval Shipyard; sponsored by Mrs. W. C. Ploeser; and commissioned 14 February 1945, Lieutenant Commander H. D. Sipple in command.
Conger tested new submarine equipment at New London until she cleared 21 July 1945 for Pacific service. At sea between Balboa and Pearl Harbor upon the end of hostilities, she was ordered back to the Canal Zone, and on 4 September arrived at Key West to provide services to the Fleet Sonar School until 6 December. She sailed then for New London and Tompkinsville, N.Y., where she lay until sailing 10 January 1946 for her assigned home port at Cristobal, C.Z.
Conger operated in the Caribbean, calling at Memphis, Tenn., and Vicksburg, Miss., in May 1947, until 23 August, when she sailed for a complete circuit of the South American continent on special hydrographic work, passing through the Straits of Magellan. She returned to the Canal Zone 5 October to resume her Caribbean operations, and from 11 January 1948 made her base at Key West. On 3 June 1949 her home port became Norfolk, Va., and she operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean assisting in the training of surface ships, taking part in fleet exercises, and perfecting her own readiness for action. She was again transferred in 1952, arriving at New London, her new home port, 12 December. From that time through 1960, she continued her east coast operations, and frequently put to sea with student submariners on board.