A river in Pennsylvania.
(SwStr: t. 955; l. 233'9"; b. 34'10"; dr. 8'; s. 11 k.; cpl. 125; a. 1 100-pdr. r., 1 11" sb., 6 24-pdr. sb., and 1 12-pdr. sb.)
Originally named Conemaugh, the first Conemaugh, a side wheel steamer, was renamed 24 December 1861, launched 1 May 1862 by Portsmouth Navy Yard, Portsmouth, N.H.; and commissioned 16 July 1862, Lieutenant R. Werden in command.
Conemaugh sailed from Portsmouth 19 July 1862 and arrived at Port Royal, S.C., 30 July to join the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. She patrolled and served as a picket frequently engaging Confederate batteries and detachments of troops along stream banks. Among such exchanges were those with the Cat Island battery on 5 March, 13 April and 23 May 1863 and Fort Wagner on 11 and 12 July 1863. Conemaugh entered Philadelphia Navy Yard 19 September and was placed out of commission 4 days later for overhaul.
Clearing Philadelphia 24 January 1864, Conemaugh arrived at Key West 1 February for duty with the West Gulf Blockading Squadron. She carried stores and ordnance to the ships off Mobile, Ala. She captured the blockade runner Judson on 30 April and sent her into Ship Island with her valuable cargo of cotton and turpentine. With Admiral D. G. Farragut's fleet, Conemaugh landed troops on Dauphin Island on 3 August and participated in the celebrated Battle of Mobile Bay on 5 August. She sailed from Key West 5 November for overhaul at Philadelphia.
From 20 May to 22 November 1865 Conemaugh cruised the coast of North and South Carolina with the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. She lay at Norfolk from 25 November 1865 to 27 May 1866, then was assigned to the North Atlantic Squadron. Conemaugh cruised on the coast of the Carolinas and Florida until 23 July 1867 when she put in to New York Navy Yard where she was decommissioned 27 July 1867 and sold on 1 October 1867.