Former name retained. (YF: dp. 350; l. 85'1"; b. 26'10"; dr. 8'; s. 9 k.; cpl. 4)
Commerce, a covered steam lighter, was built in 1901, bought by the Navy on 15 September 1918, and placed in commission shortly thereafter, Boatswain H. W. Lock-wood, USNRF, in command. Though officially known as Freight Lighter 123, the ship carried the name Commerce on its deck logs through mid-December 1919. She was classified YF-123 on 17 July 1920.
Commerce operated around New York Harbor, carrying out various tasks in support of the many naval activities in the area, until September 1920. Transferred to Norfolk, Va., at that time, she served there until June 1922 when she was put up for sale. Stricken from the Navy List on 15 July 1922, YF-123 was sold on 24 March 1923.