To assuage pain, to console.
(AH-3: dp. 10,102; l. 429'10"; b. 50'2"; dr. 26'; s. 18 k.; cpl. 318; cl. Comfort)
The first Comfort (ex-USAT Havana) was built in 1906 by William Cramp & Sons Ship & Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa., as Havana; transferred from the War Department 17 July 1917; outfitted at New York Navy Yard by John N. Robins Co., Brooklyn, N.Y.; renamed Comfort 14 March 1918; and commissioned 18 March 1918, Medical Inspector C. M. Oman, USN, commanding.
After serving from 24 July to 5 October 1918 as a floating hospital at New York Comfort joined the Cruiser and Transport Force, Atlantic Fleet to return wounded men from Europe. In three voyages between 21 October 1918 and 13 March 1919 she brought home 1,183 men from France, Britain, and the Azores. She sailed from Charleston 9 June for repairs at Mare Island Navy Yard where she went in ordinary 11 September, and was decommissioned 5 August 1921. She was sold at Mare Island 1 April 1925.
Comfort (APH-1) was renamed Tryon (q.v.) previous to commissioning.