William S. Harney was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Army in 1818. He was breveted a colonel in 1840 for his services in the Seminole War and a brigadier general in 1847 for gallant and meritorious conduct at the Battle of Cerro Gordo in the Mexican War.
(SwStr: t. 300; l. 133'; b. 22'; dph. 9'; cpl. 50; a. 1 32-pdr.)
Colonel Harney, a side wheel steamer, was built in 1840 at Baltimore and transferred from the Army in 1844. From 28 November 1844 she cruised between Norfolk, Va., and New Orleans under the command of Lieutenant W. F. Lynch, protecting the live oak and other essential ship-building timber on Government land and offering aid to vessels in distress. From 21 October 1845 she lay at New Orleans until returned to the Army 18 March 1846.