Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Clifton

 

Former name retained.

 

III

 

(IX-184: dp. 4,600; l. 453'2"; b. 54'; dr. 27'6"; s. 10 k.; a. 1 4", 1 3")

 

The third Clifton (IX-184) was built in 1913 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co., Alameda, Calif., as the tanker Dilworth; transferred from the War Shipping Administration at Brisbane, Australia, 31 May 1945; and commissioned 2 June 1945, Lieutenant D. M. Cranford, USNR, in command.

 

Clifton sailed from Brisbane on 13 June 1945 to serve as station tanker at Leyte (12 July-2 August), Manila (5-29 August), and Kanoya, Japan (8 September-2 November). Sailing by way of Pearl Harbor and San Pedro, Calif., the tanker reached Mobile, Ala., 14 January 1946. She was decommissioned there 21 February 1946 and returned to the War Shipping Administration the same day.

 

 


 

USS Clifton (Side-wheel Steamer) in attack on Sabine Pass, Tex.