Former name retained.
Caliph (No. 272), a motor boat free leased to the Navy in May 1917, was placed in service in the 4th Naval District where she performed patrol duty until December of that year. Caliph was commissioned on 1 April 1918 and assigned to duty with the District Communication Superintendent at Marcus Hook. She was decommissioned on 2 December 1918 and returned to her owner.