One of the Philippine Islands.
(PG: dp. 173; l. 100'; b. 17'6"; dr. 6'9"; s. 8 k.; cpl. 27; a. 1 3-pdr., 2 1-pdr.)
Calamianes, a small gunboat, was built in 1888 by Cavite Naval Dockyard, Luzon, Philippine Islands; captured from the Spanish in the Philippines during the Spanish-American War; transferred from the Army in 1899; and commissioned 25 July 1899, Ensign R. C. Bulmer in command.
From 1899 to 1902, Calamianes cruised off Panay, Luzon, Negros, and Mindanao, patrolling to block shipment of arms and supplies to the Filipino guerillas then in insurrection. On 26 February 1901, she fought two engagements on the Agusan River, Mindanao. For this skillful protection of Army movements ashore, Calamianes received a commendation. Decommissioned 7 August 1902, at Cavite, the gunboat was sold there in 1907.