C. P. Williams
Former name retained.
(Sch: t. 210; l. 103'8"; b. 28'3"; dph. 8'2"; s. 10k.; cpl. 35; a. 1 13" m., 2 32-pdr.)
C. P. Williams was purchased by the Navy Department at New York 2 September 1861; fitted out as a mortar schooner; commissioned 21 January 1862, Acting Master A. R. Langthorne in command; and reported to the Mortar Flotilla in the Mississippi River.
Between 13 March and 17 July 1862 C. P. Williams cruised the lower Mississippi, joining in the bombardments of Forts Jackson and St. Philip, La., between 18 and 23 April, and Vicksburg, Miss., from 27 June to 3 July .as well as blockading Berwick Bay.
C. P. Williams sailed north on 17 July 1862 for repairs at Baltimore during September and October. On 9 November, she joined the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron at Port Royal, S.C. During the remainder of the war she patrolled the rivers and sounds of the area, fired in the bombardments of forts, covered landing parties, and engaged detachments of Confederate cavalry ashore.
On 9 June 1865 C. P. Williams cleared Charleston, S.C., for Philadelphia, arriving on the 19th. She was decommissioned 27 June 1865 and sold 10 August 1865.