Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

C-3

 

(SS-14: dp.238; l. 105'4"; b.13'11"; dr.10'; s.10 k.; cpl.15; a.2 18" tt.; cl. C)

 

C-3 (Submarine No. 14) was launched 8 April 1909 as Tarpon by Fore River Shipbuilding Co., Quincy, Mass., under a subcontract from Electric Boat Co.; sponsored by Miss K. Theiss; and commissioned 23 November 1909, Lieutenant P. P. Bassett in command. She was renamed C-3 on 17 November 1911.

 

Tarpon cruised along the east coast with the Atlantic Torpedo Fleet and the Atlantic Submarine Flotilla through the spring of 1913, operating in tests and exercises. From May to December 1913, she was based at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and on 12 December 1913 reported at Cristobal, C.Z. Her operations included exploration of anchorages, tactical drills, and harbor defense patrol at Canal Zone ports. In the summer of 1918 she patrolled off Florida, then returned to Panamanian waters. C-3 was placed in ordinary at Coco Solo, C.Z., 22 August 1919, decommissioned there 23 December 1919, and sold 13 April 1920.