Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Braziliera

(Bark: T. 541; l. 135'8"; b. 28'7"; dr. 10'; s. 10 k.; a. 6 32-pdr. S. B.)


Braziliera, a wooden bark, was built in 1856 by J. J. Abrahams, Baltimore, Md.; purchased at New York 30 July 1861; and commissioned 27 October 1861, Acting Volunteer Lieutenant C. F. W. Behm in command.


She joined the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and served on the blockade of Beaufort, N. C. On 3 March 1862 Braziliera received considerable damage when the bark Amanda dragged anchor at Hampton Roads, Va., and collided with her.


On 27 June 1862 Braziliera reported to the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. While with the Squadron she captured four vessels. She also took part in the destruction of saltworks on St. Simon's Sound, Ga., and lumberworks on St. Andrew Bay, Fla. In May 1864 she assisted in defeating the attack of the CSS North Carolina at the mouth of the Cape Fear River, N. C.


Braziliera was sold 2 June 1865 at Philadelphia.



13 December 2005