(MB: t. 9; l. 45'; b. 9'3"; dr. 2'10" (f.); s. 26 k.; cpl. 4; a. 1 1-pdr.}
Boy Scout--a wooden-hulled motorboat built in 1916 at Lynn, Mass., by Britt Brothers--was acquired by the Navy from Albert Geiger, Jr., of Brookline, Mass., and classified as a section patrol (SP) craft. Initially assigned to the 1st Naval District, Boy Scout--designated SP-53--was shipped overseas for "aviation service" perhaps, in view of her speed, for use as a crash boat at a naval air station. However, records of her operations and ultimate fate have not survived. The 1 July 1920 edition of Ship's Data, U.S. Naval Vessels described Boy Scout as "overseas" but did not state where, only adding the curious notation that she was "not definitely accounted for, and in the absence of further reports will not be listed hereafter."
Robert J. Cressman
14 December 2005