Black Hawk (1767-1838) was the chief of the Sac and Fox Indians who was defeated in the Black Hawk War of 1832.
(AD-9: dp. 5690; l. 420'2"; b. 53'10"; dr. 28'5"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 471; a. 4 5", 1 3")
The second Black Hawk (AD-9) was launched in 1913 as Santa Catalina by William Cramp and Sons Ship and Engine Building Co., Philadelphia, Pa.; purchased by the Navy 3 December 1917; and commissioned 15 May 1918, Commander R. C. Bulmer in command.
Assigned as tender and flagship to the Mine Force, Black Hawk departed Boston in June 1918 to take station at Inverness, Scotland. She remained there until the end of World War I and then shifted her base to Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, for the North Sea mine sweep. She returned to New York in November 1919 and served as flagship and tender for the Atlantic Fleet destroyers in reserve at Philadelphia. After the installation of a torpedo workshop and other equipment she was designated a destroyer tender (AD-9) in November 1920 and reported as flagship of the Operative Squadron, Destroyer Flotillas, Atlantic Fleet. She served mainly in Caribbean and Panamanian waters until June 1922 when she left Newport, via the Suez Canal, for the Asiatic Squadron. Black Hawk remained in the Far East for 20 years during which she tended Destroyer Squadrons 5 (1922-40) and 29 (1940-42).
On 7 December 1941 Black Hawk was at Balikpagan, Borneo. She operated as a tender and repair ship at Java until 31 December 1941; Darwin, Australia (January-3 February 1942); Java (3-20 February); and in Australian waters (26 February-29 May). Leaving Australia she steamed to Pearl Harbor, arriving 15 June 1942. She was assigned tender duty in Alaskan waters and arrived at Kodiak 29 July 1942. Remaining there until 4 November 1942 she then returned to San Francisco for repairs and overhaul.
Completing her overhaul 16 March 1943, Black Hawk returned to Alaskan waters, arriving 10 April 1943. Except for a short stay at Pearl Harbor (30 September 1943-1 February 1944), she remained at Adak until 21 March 1945. Following repairs at Alameda, Calif., she arrived at Pearl Harbor 30 May 1945; remained there until 11 September; and then proceeded to Okinawa. Black Hawk served in the Far Eat tending vessels at Okinawa and in China until 20 May 1946 when she headed home for the last time. Decommissioned 15 August 1946, she was transferred to Maritime Commission 4 September 1947.
Black Hawk received one battle star for her service in World War II.
6 February 2006