An existing name retained.
(IX 101: t. 382; l. 150'0"; b. 30'1"; dr. 10'1 3/8"; dph. 10.4'; s. 11.0 k.; cpl. 21)
Big Chief--variously identified as a small inland freighter or as a lighthouse tender Iris built at Philadelphia in 1897--was acquired by the Navy through the War Shipping Administration (WSA) on 5 May 1943 “for duty in connection with the transportation of equipment and gear from [the] Navy Mine Depot, Yorktown [Virginia] consigned to merchant ships in the Chesapeake Bay area” and placed in service that same day. Designated IX 101 on 11 May 1943, she was assigned to the 5th Naval District. Big Chief spent the entire war disposing of overage and obsolete ammunition at sea, work that continued until 28 May 1946 when she was placed out of service. On 14 June 1946, Big Chief was returned to the WSA for disposal, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946.
Raymond A. Mann
6 February 2006