(MB: t. 19; l. 60'; b. 10'; dr. 2'9" (aft); s. 25 k., cpl. 6; a. 1 3 pdr., 2 mg.)
Betty M. II--a wooden-hulled motor boat built in 1916 at Sibley, Mich., by the Church Boat Co.--was acquired by the Navy on free lease from Mr. Charles W. Kotcher of Detroit, Mich.; assigned the classification SP 623; and placed in commission at Detroit on 4 September 1917, Chief Boatswain's Mate D. C. McKay, USNRF, in command.
Over the next two months, Betty M. II--assigned to the 9th, 10th, and 11th Naval Districts--operated principally at Detroit, transporting men and mail. After towing Welcome (SP 1175) to the American Boat Co. dock at Detroit, Betty M. II was hauled out of the water "for the season" on 26 November 1917 and inactivated because winter ice made boating dangerous on the Great Lakes.
Relaunched on 3 May 1918, Betty M. II was assigned to the Detroit and St. Clair River Patrol and, soon thereafter, resumed operations similar to those she had performed previously. On 25 November 1918, two weeks after the armistice, Betty M. II was hauled out of the water and decommissioned. The boat was returned to her owner on 17 March 1919.
Robert J. Cressman
31 January 2006