(MB: l. 35'; b. 7'6"; dr. 20" (mean); s. 10 mph.; cpl. 2)
Berwind--a 35 foot wooden hulled motorboat built in 1912 by the Atlantic Boat and Motor Works--was taken over by the Navy from the Berwind Fuel Co., of Duluth, Minn., on 8 October 1917 for use as a patrol boat. Although enrolled on the list of 9th Naval District craft on 20 October and designated SP 1671, Berwind was found to be unsuitable for naval use and was returned to her owner on 5 November 1917.
Robert J. Cressman
Although she served under the general direction of the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) until torpedoed and sunk on 7 August 1918, Berwind--a 3,400-ton cargo ship--was apparently operated by a civilian contractor for the United States Shipping Board (USSB) under an Army account and was never a Navy ship.
Raymond A. Mann
15 February 2006