(Tug: t. 72; l. 69.2; b. 18.8'; dr. 9'6" (aft); s. 8.6 k.; cpl. 4)
Bernard (Id. No. 2174)--a screw tug built in 1912 at Staten Island, N.Y., by F. A. Verdon--was chartered by the Navy from Mr. Louis B. Tucker, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on 7 April 1917. While there is no evidence that she was ever formally commissioned or placed in service, she did operate as a net vessel in Delaware Bay, work that she performed until she was returned to her owner on 4 February 1919.
Raymond A. Mann
15 February 2006