(IX 187: dp. 20,000 (f.); l. 517'6"; b. 64'0"; dr. 28'4" (f.); s. 10.5 k.; cpl. 113; a. 1 4", 1 3", 8 20mm.)
The second Belusan (IX 187)--a tanker built in 1920 at Kiel, Germany, by the Howaldwerke as Vistula--was acquired by the Navy from the War Shipping Administration at Brisbane, Australia, on 11 February 1945 and commissioned there on St. Valentine’s Day 1945, Lt. Comdr. William G. Allen, USN (Ret.) in command.
Belusan was assigned to the Service Force, 7th Fleet, and served for a time as a shuttle tanker in Australian waters. On 1 April 1945, she set a course via Humboldt Bay, New Guinea, for Subic Bay in the Philippines. The tanker stopped at Humboldt Bay from 12 to 14 April and then continued on toward the Philippines in company with a Leyte bound convoy. While still at sea, she was detached from the first convoy so that she might join another bound for Luzon. She arrived in Subic Bay on 24 April and, about a fortnight later, moved to Manila Bay where she served as station tanker until after the end of hostilities.
On 1 August Belusan changed operational control to Service Squadron (ServRon) 8, Pacific Fleet. Two weeks later, Japan capitulated. On the 17th, the tanker sailed for Lingayen Gulf on the northern coast of Luzon. She anchored in San Fernando harbor and pumped out her cargo of automotive and aviation gasoline. Belusan remained there until late in the fall. Early in November, she was towed to Subic Bay and thence to the Cavite Navy Yard where she underwent some preliminary inactivation work. Belusan returned to Subic Bay on 22 December 1945 and began stripping preparatory to decommissioning. Decommissioned on 7 January 1946, Belusan was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 21 January 1946. Ultimately, she was sold to the Asia Development Corp. on 3 March 1948.
Raymond A. Mann
24 February 2006