The first Belmont retained the name she was carrying when acquired by the Navy. The second Belmont honored cities and towns in 19 states.
(Barge: dp. 990; l. 96'7"; b. 29'; dr. 13')
The first Belmont--a wooden hulled, non self propelled barge--was acquired by the Navy from the Moran Towing and Transportation Co., Brooklyn, N.Y., after being inspected in the 3d Naval District on 21 November 1917; assigned the identification number (Id. No.) 2017; and was operated in an “in service” status into 1919. The exact nature of her service was not documented. She was returned to her owner on 3 October 1919.
Robert J. Cressman
24 February 2006