Born in Newport, N.H., in 1832, George Eugene Belknap was appointed a Midshipman in 1847. He commanded Canonicus during the attacks on Fort Fisher, N.C., and Hartford during the Formosa Expedition of 1867. Appointed Rear Admiral 12 February 1889, he retired 22 January 1894. Rear Admiral Belknap died at Key West, Fla., 7 April 1903.
The second Belknap (DLG-26), later redesignated CG-26 was launched on 20 July 1963 by Bath Iron Works Corp., and commissioned on 7 November 1964. She was decommissioned on 15 February 1995 and struck from the Navy list on the same date. Belknap was disposed of in support of a fleet training exercise on 24 September 1998.
Updates pending for 1964 through 1995.
23 February 2006