A city in far southern South Carolina, and the seat of government for Beaufort County.
(PCS-1387: dp. 338 (f.); l. 136'0"; b. 24'6"; dr. 8'7"; s. 14.1 k.; cpl. 57; a. 1 3", 1 40mm., 2 20mm., 2 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. PCS-1376)
The fourth Beaufort (PCS-1387) was laid down on 22 May 1943 at Whitestone, N.Y.; launched on 10 October 1944 as simply PCS-1387; sponsored by Miss Barbara C. Dietz; and commissioned at the New York Navy Yard on 27 November 1944, Lt. (jg.) Anthony C. Kupris, USNR, in command.
After fitting out, the subchaser embarked upon her shakedown cruise on 15 December. She conducted that training out of Key West, Fla., between 22 December 1944 and 2 January 1945. On the latter day, PCS-1387 began duty with the Fleet Sonar School, Key West, as a training platform for new sonarmen. She also doubled as harbor guard ship at Key West. Such training duties continued past the end of the war, through the late 1940's, and into the 1950's. The 1950's, however, brought an increase in the extent of her zone of operations for, after that time, she ranged the Atlantic coast as far north as Narragansett Bay and south into the Caribbean Sea. On 15 February 1956, she was named Beaufort. Just over a month later on 26 March, Beaufort was decommissioned at St. Petersburg, Fla.
Her usefulness to the Navy, however, did not end there. She was retained in service for another 11 years under the Commandant, 6th Naval District, as a training ship for naval reservists. On 15 July 1967, her name was struck from the Navy list, and she was turned over to the Naval Weapons Laboratory, Dahlgren, Va., for use as a target. Apparently, she was not totally destroyed because she was sold in July 1972 to Mr. David Hahn of Belize, British Honduras.
Raymond A. Mann
22 February 2006