A city in far southern South Carolina, and the seat of government for Beaufort County.
(PF 59: dp. 1,430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8" (lim.); s. 20.3 k. (tl.); cpl. 176; a. 2 3", 4 40mm., 4 20mm., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Tacoma; T. S2 S2 AQ1)
The third Beaufort (PF-59) laid down on 21 July 1943 at Superior, Wisc., by the Globe Shipbuilding Co. under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1466); launched on 9 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Elma G. Rodgers; accepted by the Navy on 8 July 1944 and placed in service for the trip to Boston; arrived at Boston on 20 July 1944; placed out of service on 29 July 1944; converted to a weather station ship at the Boston Navy Yard; and commissioned on 28 August 1944, Lt. Comdr. George R. Boyce, USCG, temporarily in command.
During the folIowing week, Beaufort completed fitting out and received a new commanding officer, Lt. B. R. Henry, USCG. On 8 September, she got underway for a shakedown cruise to Bermuda. The ship arrived back at Boston on 6 October. After a nine-day repair period, the patrol frigate headed for Hussey Sound--near Portland, Maine--for five days of training before returning to Boston. Soon thereafter, she sailed for Argentia, Newfoundland. During the remainder of World War II and for some seven months thereafter, she operated out of Argentia as a weather station ship with additional duty as a plane guard and air-sea rescue ship. In March 1946, she was temporarily assigned to the Coast Guard pending inactivation. Beaufort reported to the Commandant, 5th Naval District, on 28 March 1946 and was decommissioned at Norfolk, Va., on 19 April 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 21 May 1946, and she was sold to the Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Pa., on 11 April 1947 for scrapping.
Raymond A. Mann
22 February 2006