A projecting structure of masonry or wood for supporting or giving stability to a wall or building.
(PCE-878: dp. 903 (f.); l. 184'6"; b. 33'1"; dr. 9'5"; s. 15.4 k.; cpl. 99; a. 1 3", 6 40mm.; cl. PCE-842)
PCE-878 was laid down on 11 May 1943 at Portland, Oreg., by the Albina Engine & Machine Works; launched on 26 August 1943; and commissioned on 13 March 1944.
Following commissioning, she entered the Mare Island Navy Yard for conversion to a drill mine laying and recovery ship. On 15 June 1944, PCE-878 was named Buttress and redesignated ACM-4. The ship was assigned to Service Squadron (ServRon) 6 and saw duty at advanced bases in the central and western Pacific through the end of the war. She returned to the west coast at San Francisco late in December 1946. From there, Buttress moved north to Bremerton, Wash., where she was decommissioned on 24 February 1947. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 5 March 1947, and she was sold to J. W. Rumsey on 30 October 1947.
Raymond A. Mann
21 November 2005